Latest Addition ==> Bob.Omb's Modified Win10PEx64 v4.2

Author Topic: I can only see the BOOTFILES partition on my USB when I plug it in  (Read 193 times)

Bob.Omb

• PE Baker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I can only see the BOOTFILES partition on my USB when I plug it in
« on: September 03, 2018, 09:30:28 pm »
This can be caused by usbtool.exe

If you are using a USB flash drive on Windows 7 (Possibly 8 and 8.1 as well) you may only see the BOOTFILES partition when plugging in your USB to a live system. (This does not happen on fixed external USB hard drives) For this reason I recommend "Flipping Partitions" with the USB_Part_Flip.exe tool included in UEFI_MULTI_85.exe - Run the USB_Part_Flip.exe tool and select the BOOTFILES partition when prompted.  Follow the onscreen instructions.  Now your USB should only correctly show your WinPESE Data partition on older machines instead of your BOOTFILES partition. Use this tool to flip back and forth as necessary.

UEFI_MUTLI_85.EXE - https://mega.nz/#!tiRXiSwD!hdty2YSe8EUOV51_n8D574whnXg8FYkFxxXvDuquhYU

Your Anti-Virus will probably flag this file but it is safe to use, so you will likely need to disable your Anti-Virus to use it.  This is an untouched clean copy other than removing the password from the archive.

If you want you can also google UEFI_MULTI_85.EXE and you will see the original source here: http://reboot.pro/files/file/279-uefi-multi-make-multi-boot-usb-drive/

Original Archive Password for the download in the original link above: bootwimb85
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 11:12:34 pm by Bob.Omb »

dumya

• View Profile
Re: I can only see the BOOTFILES partition on my USB when I plug it in
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 08:06:49 am »
For earlier version than Windows 10, like Windows 7, only mount/assign letter to the first partition on USB flash drive. While the BOOTFILES partition don't need to be the first, the solution is.... make the BOOTFILES partition not the First partition. :)
If your PC running windows 10 x64, having only 1 HDD, and your UFD size is 14GB, the command should like this:

diskpart
select disk 1
clean
create partition primary size=13722
format fs=ntfs label="You_Name_It" quick
assign
create partition primary id=0C
ACTIVE
format fs=fat32 label="BOOTFILES" quick
assign
exit

After this mount the PE iso, copy the needed folders: BOOT, EFI, SOURCES to the visible "BOOTFILES drive".
And the rest goes to "You_Name_It" drive.

Bob.Omb

• PE Baker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: I can only see the BOOTFILES partition on my USB when I plug it in
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 07:28:37 pm »
Usbtool.exe will be rewritten and packaged with the RS5 release, correcting several issues.... including driver lettering issues, false positive detection by AV softwares, and partition positioning...