Latest Addition ==> Bob.Omb's Modified Win10PEx64 v4.2

Author Topic: Why is the tool being flagged?  (Read 94 times)

menocare

• View Profile
Why is the tool being flagged?
« on: September 10, 2018, 11:17:58 am »
Hello ... I'm curious why when one unzip the tool to burn or put onto a usb stick it gets flagged as a virus and the anti-virus program removes it

Bob.Omb

• PE Baker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Why is the tool being flagged?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 12:57:51 pm »
Which tool?  The Usbtool.exe?  Not sure.  I made that myself, there are no viruses or malware included I can assure you of that...  It is written in autoit3/batch/powershell all mixed together for different tasks.. (Mounting the ISO/Finding available drive letters/formatting/calculating needed space for the fat32 partition etc- each language has a simple way to do each of theses tasks, but each language has at least one of the steps needed with only a very complicated option available to do so, so I just mixed them, each with their easiest commands for simplicity)  You can extract the EXE with 7zip and see the other modules inside..

I used SFXConstructor to compress them all into a single exe

Which anti-virus are you using that is flagging my tool?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 01:02:41 pm by Bob.Omb »

menocare

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 01:28:49 pm »
Yes, that tool and I believe you, but if I try to use it ... it will alert the anti-virus program and I'm just using Microsoft anti-virus. I will try 7zip and let you know
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 01:31:02 pm by menocare »

menocare

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 01:43:19 pm »
Even 7zip does the same thing Bob. The anti-virus will remove the program. It's detecting a PUP

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 02:38:36 pm by menocare »

Bob.Omb

• PE Baker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 09:03:03 pm »
Its getting flagged pretty hard at virustotal.com but I didn't put anything malicious in it whatsoever and it is written from scratch..

Anti-Virus companies want me and others to pay hundreds of dollars to get our tools signed so that they won't constantly get flagged like this...

menocare

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 10:24:29 pm »
Bob, it's a potentially unwanted program or at least that's what I believe the anti-virus is picking up. Any software that has an attachment with other programs will get flagged for PUP regardless if it's malicious or not
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 10:27:59 pm by menocare »