Latest Addition ==> Bob.Omb's Modified Win10PEx64 v4.4 - RS5

Author Topic: Update Utility  (Read 554 times)

Dr.Dimensional

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Update Utility
« on: September 03, 2018, 06:21:43 pm »
I know it may be a long shot, but to save re-imaging drives all the time,for releases that are fairly basic tool updates, would it be worth setting up some sort of update repo. like, have a small prog that checks hashes of files, if they are incorrect, update those files only? i dunno.. just an idea.

Bob.Omb

• PE Baker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Update Utility
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 07:13:05 pm »
I wish this was possible but unfortunately with the current build style and contents it is very near impossible to do this in a way that is as streamlined as using the included usbtool.exe

This is something I have thought about but would be less efficient than re-burning the iso in the end...

CharlieCroker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 01:36:55 am »
What I do for speed is, overwrite the boot.win (cos the size is often different), delete the programs inside the programs folder and copy the new programs from the .iso over adding a few others of my own. Then remake the start menu.
Doing it this way, am I missing something?  ::)

Dr.Dimensional

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 01:54:43 am »
Nah just me and my horrible lazyness, Me personally I have around 8 USB's and one SSD running Bob's PE on there at any one time. mostly with a few refinements and some tools and scripts that I've acquired over the years.

But realistically, was thinking something of a script that would pretty much do just that. except just overwriting files rather than purging and re-adding, with a pull sort of feature like a git really... I dunno.

At least with me, (I have a lot of computers with mapped drives, and the best results I've had is to remove all mapped drives, then run the usbtool, then re-add the mapped drives, all depends what machine i'm on when I get the new updated versions.) actually, I think I still have a USB with 1.1 or 1.2 in the car (for those on the go jobs), of course since the usbtool was added, before that... was an absolute nightmare.. since some surface's require pure UEFI. but now <3 the UEFI+SecureBoot.

Bob.Omb

• PE Baker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 04:00:08 pm »
What I do for speed is, overwrite the boot.win (cos the size is often different), delete the programs inside the programs folder and copy the new programs from the .iso over adding a few others of my own. Then remake the start menu.
Doing it this way, am I missing something?  ::)

No that should work fine. However if I were to make any changes to the boot files you would miss them.  I have rarely ever made changes though.  Hmm, maybe I could make an update tool with the method you describe, for a "Quick Update" on an existing drive but I wont be able to work on that until the weekends as it will require a lot of testing to ensure it works.  At the very least it is a good idea that we can build towards for an updater and that seems like a good method. (To run the tool with a new ISO overtop of your current USB actually makes an update possible, but in some cases it may not have the desired effect...  I will look into this..)